English Simplified:Tips to Improve your English for Exams
This section will comprise the following types of questions:
Spend not more than 15 mins on this section, if possible do within 12 mins
• Reading Comprehension ( 1 passage) -10 marks
• Cloze Test – 5 marks
• Error Detection – 5 marks
• Para Jumbles – 5 marks
• Fill In The Blanks/Sentence Improvement – 5 marks
The above format has been seen in the SBI PO Prelims exam and the IBPS PO Prelims will be no different than the above one.
Tips to Appear in the Paper:
A. First things first, attempt only those questions about which you are 100% certain, stay away from guess work no matter what.
B. Firstly for the students who are weak in English, we recommend that you do not ignore the RC and score maximum from it.
But Do it at the end, so as to avoid wastage of time. This strategy increases the efficiency.
Steps For Doing RC:
Most of you are confused whether to attempt the RC or not.Well RC can actually be your saving glory in the exams, as it does not require any grammar rules or guess work, all you need to do is to look for the answers. Now 1 rc is expected in the exams, well you obviously cannot immediately read long passages due to lack of time.
So what do you do?
- Do the vocabulary questions first.
- For other questions, read one question and then search for the answer quickly, looking for similar words in the paragraphs. But make sure you do it really quickly. Once you get the needed lines of the answer in the RC, then compare it with the options given in the question.
- If you are unable to locate an answer then move to the next question,but do not get stuck on any question!! Using this method you will be able to attempt the RC in a short span of time and it will help you score well too
- This method seems odd, but works beautifully in the exams. You still have time before the exams, try it at home as an experiment to see if it works for you.
- Also stay away from questions like what is the authors view in this passage, or what is the author trying to say, as these questions are usually quite controversial.
- So basically these exams require you to be really smart . And smartness comes from practice.
C. You can even attempt cloze tests. If at all you do get confused by the options, start by eliminating the the options that don’t seem to fit in the question. This strategy also helps sometimes in reaching the correct answer. But remember no rule applies to all. So again you need to be smart.
D. Next comes fillers where you can easily attempt 2-3 questions but sometimes the words given are too difficult and the options are too close. So it is better to avoid those and rest you can decide on your own.
E. Next try attempting the para-jumbles as they do not require you to know the grammar well. Even if the para jumble question is tough, even then you can attempt 1-2 questions. So for example the 1st statement, the last statement, the 2nd statement.
F. Rest of the sections go through, but only attempt those in which you are 100 % sure.
Don’t forget that there is negative marking, so no point losing marks by guess work especially in a subject which is not your strength.
Again the exam is not a test of your knowledge, but a test of how efficiently you score and manage your time. So do not get attached to any question. Attempt only those questions about which you are 100 percent sure.
Lastly for all students – give on-line mock exams if possible as this helps in making strategies, increases speed, and gives you experience for the real battle.